Monday, October 29, 2012

Anniversary

The hubs and I celebrated our 11th Anniversary on Saturday.  It still boggles my mind that we have made it 11 years.  I can't tell you how many times I wondered if we would make it 11 more minutes.  It's so crazy to think we now have a 9 year old and an almost 5 year old.  When did that happen?  Where did my little babies go?

(Pause for a moment of reminiscing.)

I started the day with a run to the grocery store and a mountain of dirty laundry.  Anniversaries are no longer the romantic all day event they were when we first started out. 

However, we did sneak away for a romantic dinner.  The girls had been invited to a Halloween party at my cousin's house.  My mom kindly offered to take them for me so Steven and I could sneak some time alone. 

Steven surprised me with a gift card to Dillard's for a new watch.  I've been wearing a fancy-schmancy watch from Avon for about 5 years now.  It's painted white, but by now it's just a nasty banged up tarnished silver.  To say it's less that professional looking is an understatement.  I'm very excited for a new watch.  I would prefer one that looks like I'm a grown woman and not one that looks like I got it at the dollar store. 

I surprised Steven with a new package of underwear.  I know, I know...I'm such a romantic.  Okay, he got a few other things too but I'm pretty sure it was the underwear that was the clincher.  And perhaps they were more for my benefit than anything.  But I have to fold that damn underwear every week and I needed to look at underwear in much better shape.  Ugh!  But I digress...

The dinner was beautiful. I put on heels and a velvet skirt.  Steven put on a shirt and tie.  We looked smoking good.  I had a gorgeous bottle of wine and seared tuna.  Yum.  Steven had a gorgeous sip of my wine (he's such a teetotaler) and a pork loin.  We were in decadence heaven.  The restaurant was up in the mountains with the snow lightly falling.  It was postcard beautiful.  Almost romance novel beautiful. 

It was fun to get away without the kids.  It's also nice to go to a restaurant that doesn't have mac & cheese on the menu. 

It's hard to pull me away from the kids, but I'm always glad when Steven gets me to do that once in awhile.  It never hurts to reaffirm to myself why I married this man in the first place.  And it's a good reminder that there is more to my life than homework, Barbie Dolls, and bows.

Happy Anniversary, hon.  Love you!

Sidenote of awkwardness to the weekend: 

Steven had roses delivered Saturday morning.   As I lay in a nice hot bath Steven and both girls walked in carrying my roses.  I love roses, I love getting roses...I love the fact that he cared enough to buy me roses.  I DO NOT love getting roses given to me naked in a tub of water with mascara running down my face. 

Wish Flower today?  I wish that no one ever, ever gives me roses while I'm naked again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment